Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Gone Girl opens Friday Oct 3 #GoneGirl


The film of Gone Girl, the book club favorite, will be released this Friday, October 3. I got to see an early screening and I doubt if anyone will be disappointed. The cast does an impeccable job of portraying all the ups and down of these characters, who have to deal with the disappearance of their loved one.

If you haven't read the book you're in for quite a ride, but I think even those who know all the twists and turns will get caught up in the turmoil of each characters inner struggle to decide, did he or didn't he? Ben Affleck plays his role beautifully, dancing on the line of worried husband and dirty suspect.

Kim Dickens as Detective Rhonda Boney is brilliant and I loved her banter with Detective Jim Gilpin (played by Patrick Fugit who I will always LOVE from Almost Famous). Jim is ready to slap the cuffs on Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck) from the word go. But as Rhonda says She's has never found the simpliest answer to be the right one, and so they must investigate deeper an deeper.

Tyler Perry is the only comedy relief in the film, as Nick's attorney Tanner Bolt. Loved his moments of levity.

If I had one complaint it would be that we don't get nearly enough Neil Patrick Harris (Though he does have a fully naked scene, did I just buried the lead?). Even in this very serious role he is spectacular. But as with any book you can't film every word. So we get what we get of Neil Patrick Harris and will just have to hope that this role gets him more work in bigger parts in things to come.

I'd say this is a great date night movie but maybe only if you are a solid couple. I would warn first dates away from it...



1 comment:

Jeremiah Panhorst said...

I am really looking forward to seeing this one Elise. Great review!